Origami Crane Mobile



I made an origami crane mobile for Emmaly, and it’s really not expensive. This is what you’ll need:

  • Instructions for making a crane (if you don’t know it already) – free from the Internet
  • Bamboo skewers – $1.50 at supermarket
  • Cotton – usually some lying around, otherwise $2 shop
  • Needle – seriously, you must have one of these? If not… $2 is your friend!
  • Square paper (you can either just cut printer paper square, use some coloured paper from a memo cube, or buy actual origami paper) – $2 max
  • Beads (optional)
Plan ahead!

Plan ahead!

Draw up a rough plan of what you want the mobile to look like, trying to keep in mind that you don’t want things to collide. Fold as many cranes (or whatever shape you are folding) as you need. Cut the sharp stabby ends off the bamboo skewers before you put an eye out.

The bead needs to be big enough not to slip through.

The bead needs to be big enough not to slip through.

Tie the cotton onto the ends of the skewers, making sure to leave a nice long string every time because you don’t know how much you’ll need. Thread the cotton through the middle of the origami using the needle, then tie off with a bead to stop the thread pulling through. If you’re like me and you forget to bring the beads with you to your friend’s place where you made the mobile, you roll up paper really tight and tie it off instead. :p

Then it’s a fine balancing act of getting everything tied up together. Work from the bottom of the mobile up, otherwise you’ll have to keep rebalancing everything.

The finished mobile.

The finished mobile.

– Miriam


A tutu for Emmaly


Emmaly in her tutu

I’m an avid sewing/craft blog reader, and during my reads I keep coming across little girls in tutu/princess style skirts and dresses and thought that it was well time that Emmaly started having a dress-up wardrobe, and so an easy first dress-up project is a tutu.

I spent an hour in front of the sewing machine and overlocker and came up with this tutu for Emmaly.

I purchased 3 x 0.5 metres of nylon netting and cut the netting into 15cms strips, set the tension setting on my sewing machine to high and the stitch length to 4mm and sewed them adding each strip one after another to make into one very long ruffled strip.
Using some scrap cotton fabric, I cut a length that would be wide enough to go around Emmalys hips and then serged the edges, this serves as an inner skirt.


Finished tutu

I folded the ruffled strip of netting into four layers, and lay the length of cotton fabric underneath and stitched through all five layers, adding the ribbon in at each end to use as a tie.

Bargain hunting and toddler tutu


Beautiful fabrics

I did a little bargain hunting yesterday at Spotlight and found that the remnant bin had a “50% off already marked discounts” sign and after some careful consideration, decided to take these two pieces home with me.

The multi-coloured piece is 0.6m of satin that was originally $16.99 per metre, but after a 50% discount to the remnant bin and then the 50% off already marked prices, I paid $2.27, and the purple and white flowered piece is 1.3m of polyester, previously $7 per metre for which I paid $2.89.

Tutu Project

Tools for the project

I also purchased 1.5 metres of nylon netting with the idea of making my one year old a tutu skirt to dress up in.
I thought I would include a picture of the planned project along with my notions, sewing machine and much-loved overlocker.

I’m not 100% sure of what the tutu will look like, or whether she will wear it much, but I’m determined to make her one.

Miriam has suggested that I should make Emmaly (my 1 year old daughter) a bolero as she insists on wearing her dresses pulled up over her chest and behind her head so that they just sit on her arms/shoulders. *shakes head*

– Kayleigh

Dress mania and shirring

So I recently saw Kayleigh post a picture on Facebook of these adorable dresses that she’d made for her 13-month-old daughter, and I thought, “Oh, how did she do the rippled top?”

I read the description, calling it shirring, so I went and googled it (of course). There are a lot of tutorials already out there for how to shirr fabric, so I won’t recreate one here. Instead, I’ll give you some links:

And show you what I made:

And because of photo transfer fail between devices, that’s the only photo I can post out of the three things I made. Darnit. I’ll try and remember to come back and post the others.

Things I learned along the way:

  • My machine (a Bernette, about 13 years old) needs to be on maximum thread tension to sew with elastic thread.
  • Elastic thread is much cheaper from the Dollar Store if you can get it. It was $5 a roll at Spotlight and $2.50 a roll at the Dollar Store in Northcote, but couldn’t find it at the Dollar Stores in Birkenhead. So hunt around! Especially since you use somewhere around half a roll per dress.
  • When making dresses with separate bodice, sew the darts into the skirt before attaching to bodice. This was definitely a duh moment, and you can see from the photo the skirt fabric pulls a little around the hips.
  • For the tube-style dress (the yellow and tartan ones I couldn’t post pics of yet), about 125 – 150 cm diameter is about right for a NZ size 12. There is room to grow and shrink.

My next project is another shirred dress, using some nice satiny pink fabric I got from Nick’s Fabrics in Mt Eden (336 Dominion Road). Great place to shop, nothing over $10 a metre. This dress will have triangle cups at the front, shirred under the bust and around the back, and a flared skirt. With no pattern, wish me luck!


An introduction

A shared blog between two friends who love to craft!

%d bloggers like this: