Sleeping like a baby…

Or should that be, like a child?

Emmaly using the bunk bed

Emmaly using the bunk bed

A few months ago, I moved from the main house on the property I live in, into a small caravan/unit (think 1.5 bedroom apartment). At that time, I used the whole place, but then my housemates friend was desperate for somewhere to stay, and the housemates were contemplating offering him a room that was barely big enough for a single bed, desk and a dresser, let alone a grown man who has a queen sized bed, a large computer desk and set up etc. So I offered him the use of the large bedroom in my unit and moved into the living room to live studio apartment-like (he shares laundry and kitchen facilities with the main house).

Bunk and desk frame up

Bunk and desk framed up

My living room is 4.8m x 4.8m with a 1.2 x .7m cupboard for the laundry and also a 2.1 x 1.6m kitchen, which still leaves a lot of room for living/sleeping area. I have a king single bed, 2 x two seater and a single seat sofa, a sewing/computer desk as well as a need for clothing space for myself and my daughter.

Emmaly using the stairs

Emmaly using the stairs

After rearranging the room several times, I came to the conclusion that while it was “okay” I needed a better solution, and so I started looking at bunk beds with desks underneath, therefore utilizing more space and freeing up living space.

Bunk frame

Bunk frame

I spent a few days drafting my plans, and then went down the road and came back with several arm loads of timber.
(I happen to be quite lucky that my landlord has collected a lot of free wood in the size of 2 x 7cm wood in varying lengths.)

Miriam cutting a wave

Miriam cutting a wave

I built the end pieces, and then filled it in, lay the slats for the bunk and made a landing, some stairs and a small ladder for Emmaly to use, as although the landing is a perfect height for me to stand on and then climb onto the bed, it is well over her height to get to the bed from the landing.

Once it was completed, I roped Miriam into helping with the painting, and she decided that my bad attempt at cutting the railings to match the angled ceiling needed to be turned into a wave instead.

We then slapped a coat of paint on it, and I’ve declared it mostly done! At least for the moment.
Over the next few days I plan on making the desk, shelves, and cupboard doors. I almost had one of the cupboard doors done today – I even triple measured and they were cut exactly the same length, same angle, I even had the holes drilled for the dowelling… until I realised that the saw must have been pushed the tiniest bit further than 45 degrees, and the pieces, when matched, didn’t create a 90 degree angle. Ho hum. Check back in a few weeks and I will do a completed blog post πŸ™‚

The (almost) finished bunk

The (almost) finished bunk

Painted landing and ladder

Painted landing and ladder

EDIT: Please note that in New Zealand, it is illegal to have open railings as babies/toddlers and children can get their clothing caught on it and accidentally hang themselves. I am now looking at options to put a small cap along the top of the wavy railing so that it is safer for Emmaly πŸ™‚

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: